Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Global Game Jam 2010: Anyone is Welcome

So I just found out about this event being held this weekend and think it sounds really fun so I figured I'd share.


The Global Game Jam consists of groups all over the world getting together this weekend, seperating into local teams and spending 48 hours developing a game prototype relating to the years topic. But what really hooked me was the NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY not so fine print. To quote their website:
Although having computer skills is helpful, code experience is not necessary. Designers, developers, artists and anyone is welcome to try their hand at making a game during the GGJ.
I'm in computer systems now but coming out of high school I laughed at my friend who wrote a program to calculate the quadratic formula on his graphing calculator because I couldn't imagine anyone wanting to spend their time working with bloody computers. I still don't get along with computers on a regular basis which is a constant source of amusement to people who know me as I'll be happily typing along one moment and the next time they notice me i'm literally growling and shaking my fists at it since throwing my laptop across the room would be a bad thing. The point is I now really like programming and the logic puzzles it presents but I simply don't have the experience to jump into most projects that are looking for programmers.
This competition is a chance to get to see how a game is made and contribute ideas and pieces without anyone expecting you to know all of it or understand half of it.
Yes there's sure to be some top notch programmers which is all the better for a beginner to team up with as you can follow what they do and ask questions. But if programming isn't your thing but you'd like to help design a game you can also do graphics or audio or a whole bunch of other stuff i probably don't even realize is involved in making a video game.

Check out the Carleton Game Day Mini-Conference and School of Information Technology's Game Jam site to sign up (registration for both events is free)

0 comments: