Friday, June 19, 2009

Why write about portrayals of women?

My friend Katie writes frequently about how women are represented in media, books, games, and recently she took some time to write a little bit about why she feels it's worth talking about portrayals of women:

This affects more than just me. If I’m the only one complaining, I’m the crazy feminist. If other people are noticing and pointing it out too, then they stop to think about it.


If you've ever wondered why we write what we do for this blog, you might want to go take a look at her post and see how her words can also be applied to the material we write here about women in science and engineering. And while you're there, check out the rest of her blog for all sorts of interesting book reviews, thoughts on gaming, and lots of other insightful stuff. I know many of you involved with WISE will find it fascinating!

1 comments:

Barbora Dej said...

I would like to add that feminism is defined as "the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men". Remember that it has nothing to do with being against men. So I ask that all of us women keep that in mind the next time you're called feminist or you're afraid of being perceived as feminist. Feminism is what got us our way of life today. And I'd like us to keep improving it for tomorrow.